Following last year’s rundown of the UK’s best acquisition specialists, we have turned our attentions to the world of boutique estate agency for this latest edition of Prime Movers.
Offering something very different to the household-name chain operations that characterise our high streets, boutique agencies are less prominent by their very nature, and need to make a name for themselves with sheer hard work, deal after deal.
Often owned by the people who run them day-to-day, the stakes are high, and — with transactions running terribly low — it’s been particularly tough out there of late. However, as Beauchamp Estates’ Gary Hersham writes, those firms which add real value will survive, and even prosper, when times are hard; being nimble in these kind of situations can often be a big advantage…
As you’d expect in a city where the property market is an international obsession, there’s no shortage of options. Recent research put the total number of agency branches in the capital at 2,900, with 241 in Westminster alone; the choice is nothing short of bewildering, but find a good one and they’ll be worth their weight in gold bricks.
With thanks to our learned readership for their input, we have aimed to capture a snapshot of the current scene, profiling 50 small firms that represent the very best the industry has to offer, brokering the finest and most interesting high-value properties in the capital, whilst providing exceptional levels of service with a genuinely personal touch at every turn.
Attracting praise from both clients and industry professionals alike for qualities including dedication, reliability, discretion, effectiveness, innovation and dynamism, they have all established and maintained highly-valued presences in their local communities — and places in the hearts of London’s most discerning buyers, sellers, tenants and landlords.
PrimeResi proudly presents
Boutique London Estate Agencies 2017
For the purposes of this index, we have defined a London boutique estate agency as:
- A firm with half-a-dozen or fewer branches or offices in the UK;
- which is not part of a global real estate behemoth;
- which represents vendors and/or landlords (i.e. which operates in sales and/or lettings);
- within Greater London,
- and is active at the top-end of the market (properties valued at £2m+).
The 50 firms below were all nominated by PrimeResi readers; these nominations, with independent research by our editorial team and consultation with a panel of industry insiders, were used to determine rankings.
=1. BEAUCHAMP ESTATES
3. RUSSELL SIMPSON
4. GLENTREE INTERNATIONAL
5. AYLESFORD INTERNATIONAL
7. THE MODERN HOUSE
8. TUNSTALL PROPERTY
10. HARRODS ESTATES
12. ASTON CHASE
13. KAY & CO
14. HENRY & JAMES
15. WELLBELOVE QUESTED
16. AYRTON WYLIE
18. DOMUS NOVA
19. PASTOR REAL ESTATE
20. HANOVER RESIDENTIAL
21. LUROT BRAND
22. KAYE & CAREY
24. WILFORDS LONDON
25. FARRAR & CO
26. HANOVER PRIVATE OFFICE
27. DOMINIC LONDON
28. ASHDOWN MARKS
29. BECTIVE LESLIE MARSH
31. HOBART SLATER
34. ARLINGTON RESIDENTIAL
35. McKEE & CO
36. NICOLAS VAN PATRICK
37. IAN GREEN RESIDENTIAL
39. MARLER & MARLER
40. DRAKER LETTINGS
41. MOUNTGRANGE HERITAGE
42. FYFE McDADE
43. JO WEBSTER
44. LOUISE HEWLETT PROPERTY CONSULTANTS
45. TLC LONDON
46. SUSAN METCALFE RESIDENTIAL
47. MILTON STONE
48. CROFT INTERNATIONAL
50. RAMPTON BASELEY
=1. BEAUCHAMP ESTATESNearly 40 years after the firm was founded, Beauchamp Estates and its enigmatic MD Gary Hersham continue to define the business of super-prime estate agency; so much so that you’re unlikely to find an UHNWI who doesn’t have their number stored in somewhere their Vertu. Operating from a suitably grand townhouse on Curzon Street, the 13-strong team handles a remarkable portfolio of trophy properties on behalf of the global elite, including many of the world’s most revered residences.
Key locations include Prime Central London, the South of France, Monaco, Tuscany, the Italian Lakes, Mykonos, New York and Tel Aviv, with instructions ranging from ancient palaces to award-winning new-builds.
Working with private individuals and family trusts right up to the highest of echelons, the onus is on exceptional levels of personal care, guidance and considered advice on a one-to-one basis; the client base also includes professional landlords and investors, big-name developers and corporations.
The definitive boutique super-prime agency.
24 Curzon Street
London W1J 7TF
T: 020 7499 7722
=1. WETHERELLAs the internet continues its march on the high street, one firm on the corner of Mount Street stands as a welcome reminder that some things simply can’t be replicated by algorithms and outsourcing.
No-one does intricate local knowledge - and by that we mean house-by-house; owner-by-owner - better than Peter Wetherell’s eponymous firm. It’s a key reason why vendors see little point in talking to anyone else when it comes to selling their prize asset. Indeed, in Mayfair’s £10m+ market over the last five years, 69% of them chose to sell via Wetherell - 30% more than its nearest competitor - with recent sales ranging all the way up to a 10,000 square foot, £45m mansion near Harry’s Bar.
And while most businesses simply look to raise their own profile, the “Mayfair Guru” has played a significant role in the area’s reinstatement as London’s most desirable neighbourhood. A sustained and highly effective campaign championing “Mayfair Village” in the national and international press has converged with a remarkable wave of development to elevate this venerable enclave above its PCL peers in recent years. Brand Mayfair has arguably never been stronger, and this very special agency can quite rightly claim a large chunk of the credit.
102 Mount Street
London W1K 2TH
020 7493 6935
3. RUSSELL SIMPSONFounded by Alan Russell in 1979, Russell Simpson is one of the longest-established outfits in Kensington & Chelsea and retains the two most valuable assets a boutique estate agency can possess: a solid gold reputation and good old fashioned values.
Clients praise the team for “redefining the word ‘helpful’”, with others describing the offering as “discrete yet energetic”, “quintessentially English” and “the best level of service in the market”.
The last few years have seen something of a reinvention for the firm as four of Alan’s children - Jake, Leo, Hermione and Bertie - lead the dynasty into a new generation; the latest recruit, Hattie Russell (Jake’s wife) has joined the fold after eight years at Knight Frank’s Chelsea office.
An invigorated new approach is clearly working extremely well, and the firm is now a major player in the £5m-£15m market, with increasing involvement in the £30m-100m range. But while the super-prime market may bear larger fruit, Russell Simpson’s success has been built on maintaining those traditional values of humility, passion and sheer hard work throughout every single deal; it’s an approach that continues to deliver consistent year-on-year growth, even in the toughest of markets.
5 Anderson Street
London SW3 3LU
T: 020 7225 0277
4. GLENTREE INTERNATIONALFounded over 40 years ago and led by the best frontman in estate agency, Trevor Abrahmsohn, Glentree remains the force to be reckoned with in North London. Dominant in the salubrious NW London corridor, but best known for selling many of the finest mansions on The Bishops Avenue - aka Millionaires’ Row - very few agencies in the world have carved their niche quite so successfully.
Providing a rare blend of institutional reliability with entrepreneurial verve, the 18-strong team is based at “one proud headquarters” on Finchley Road and put through a prodigious 250 exchanges and 150 tenancies last year.
Abrahmsohn himself remains a leading authority on the market, at both micro and macro level. His strong views consistently provoke the industry into vital, healthy debate, and those who follow his writings for PrimeResi will be aware of his rare ability to successfully call market movements many months in advance.
698 Finchley Road
London NW11 7NE
T: 0208 458 7311
5. AYLESFORD INTERNATIONALThe venerable and hugely respected Aylesford International has been operating from the same spot on the King’s Road since 1966. Over the intervening five decades, the 20-strong firm has sold more than £20bn-worth of London property and established itself as a major player on the international scene, now operating in ten countries over six continents.
Its Founder and Chairman, Andrew Langton, who remains very much in the driving seat after all these years, is one of the most experienced agents in the business and a fine ambassador for the industry.
440 King’s Road
London SW10 0LH
T: 020 7351 2383
6. MASKELLSThose in any doubt as to the value of estate agents in their local community would do well to meet Walton Street-based Maskells’ fiercely loyal following.
With a 50-year history, an inspired sales team led by Jamie Hope, and some of the most incisive market commentary around, courtesy of Principal and former financier Charles Curran, there’s a palpable sense of pride in everything this firm does.
Nothing, it seems, is too much trouble for this team, with many clients praising the agency for “always going the extra mile”; that has meant literally in some cases - the firm recently agreed a let for a client in Northumberland, some 300 miles up the M1.
We’re told all the senior staff are stakeholders in the business and everyone works on a pooled commission structure “to ensure the best interests of the client are always put first”. Offering the full gamut of services, together with a clear understanding of what makes for first-class service, it’s no wonder the instructions are flooding in.
71 Walton Street
London SW3 2HT
T: 020 7581 2216
7. THE MODERN HOUSEWith a name inspired by F.R.S. Yorke’s celebrated 1934 book that introduced Modern Movement architecture to a British audience, it should be clear very early on that The Modern House is no ordinary estate agency.
Rather than focusing on a specific location, the firm sells “exceptional living spaces” throughout the country from its ultra-cool Islington base, including architects’ own homes, loft apartments, factory conversions, new homes, and “period houses with superior interiors”.
Founded in 2005 by Albert Hill, former Architecture & Design Editor at Wallpaper, together with Matt Gibberd, former Senior Editor at The World of Interiors, the agency has gone on to represent some of the country’s best-known Modernist masterpieces, including: David Adjaye’s The Lost House in King’s Cross, Augustus John’s former studio in Hampshire, the extraordinary High & Over (“the earliest and arguably the greatest Modern Movement property”), the 1968 house that Richard Rogers designed for his parents, and the late John Winter’s “seminal” house in Highgate.
Effortlessly blurring the boundaries between architecture and brokerage, the firm has managed to achieve the impossible - actually making estate agency cool, and achingly so.
63 Halliford Street
London N1 3HF
T: 020 3795 5920
8. TUNSTALL PROPERTYResponsible for some of Prime Central London’s most impressive lettings deals over the last decade, Mark Tunstall is the go-to name for those in search of a super-prime property to rent in the capital.
The former boss of Savills’ Super-Prime Lettings Department set up his eponymous firm in 2014 and has gone on to establish a compelling independent offering alongside Murdi van Hien.
The numbers do all the talking; deals in the past 12 months have included long lets on a five-bed apartment in One Hyde Park guided at £45,000 per week, a detached 8-bed Chelsea house with pool and parking guided at £40,000 per week, and a detached seven-bed villa in Holland Park backing directly onto the park, guided at £25,000 per week.
37 Thurloe Street
London SW7 2LQ
T: 020 3011 1775
9. ROKSTONEBursting onto the scene in 2011, Becky Fatemi’s mercurial Rokstone has demonstrated a clear understanding of what the new generation of HNW vendors and buyers want from a real estate agency.
Going far beyond a simple sales or lettings offering, the Rokstone “brand’s” services include property sales and acquisition, access to investment and funding advice, luxury VIP events, celebrity launches and opportunities for joint branding and cross selling in the luxury property, artwork and clothing sectors.
It’s an approach that’s won the firm copious amounts of silverware and a dedicated following in the last five years; and world domination now awaits…
5 Dorset Street
London W1U 6QJ
T: 020 7580 2030
10. HARRODS ESTATESOne of the oldest agencies on our list, Harrods Estates can trace its lineage all the way back to 1897.
Originally tucked away behind Furnishings on the ground floor of the main Harrods building, the property arm of the iconic luxury brand moved over the road in 1919 and has gone on to open up branches on Park Lane, Fulham Road and, most recently, Kensington Church Street.
Providing all the traditional agency specialisms along with access to a whole suite of additional services including Harrods Bank, Harrods Interiors and Harrods Gardens, clients are catered for with the same attention to detail you’d expect from one of the most famous names in luxury.
82 Brompton Road
Knightsbridge SW3 1ER
T: 020 7225 6506
11. VANHANSet up in 2012 by two of Prime Central London’s brightest stars, Rory Penn and Thomas van Straubenzee, this exceedingly well-connected and well-qualified Mayfair agency has been quietly tucking away landmark transactions ever since.
The sale of a £60m resi development opportunity in Knightsbridge, a £55m apartment in Mayfair, a £50m house in Kensington and a £48m apartment in Knightsbridge are just some of the recent deals put together by this talented team, who operate well below the radar from their Clifford Street base.
The firm has also recently added lettings to its roster of services, recruiting Knight Frank’s Matilda Macpherson to run the division.
An agency very much on the ascendence.
17 Clifford Street
London W1S 3RQ
T: 020 3588 3311
12. ASTON CHASEMark Pollack and Richard Bernstone’s influential agency has been a cornerstone of the central and north west London market since 1985.
The vastly-experienced 18-strong team punches well above its weight and maintains one of the strongest registers in PCL, stuffed full of high-end houses and, increasingly, the area’s best new-builds.
It’s not at all surprising that the firm currently holds the price records for both a house sale and a house rental in St John’s Wood (a mansion on Avenue Road sold in 2014 for £38.5m at a rate of £3,352 per square foot; and a mansion on Hamilton Terrace, recently let at £25,000 per week).
69/71 Park Road
London NW1 6XU
T: 020 7724 4724
13. KAY & COFounded by Samuel Bikhit in 1982 and at the forefront of the PCL market ever since, Kay & Co provides everything that people want from a boutique agency and more: intricate local knowledge, personality, a pool of over 200 years’ combined experience, and a deep understanding of what makes living in London so very special.
Bikhit’s son Martin joined the company in 1997 and spent nine years honing his skills before being appointed Managing Director in 2008.
The result is a family-owned firm that everyone wants on their side, committed to championing the capital’s myriad “villages” with all kinds of charitable initiatives, and woven into the fabric of the markets within which it operates.
24-25 Albion Street
London W2 2AX
T: 0207 908 2662
14. HENRY & JAMESFounded by Henry Brahm in the 1950s, this Belgravia firm is part of the PCL furniture, in the best possible way.
The business has changed very little in the intervening years, much like the demands of its many well-heeled and high-profile clients, who have included the likes of Marilyn Monroe, Steve McQueen, Catherine Deneuve and Jean Shrimpton.
Now headed up by Pierre Brahm as Chairman and run by the energetic Chief Executive, James Bailey, the team operates from a prominent site on Motcomb Street, advising on selling, renting, buying, managing and investing in property right across the prime postcodes.
1 Motcomb Street
London SW1X 8JX
T: 020 7235 8861
15. WELLBELOVE QUESTEDThe ongoing success of Grant Wellbelove, Andrew Quested and Grace Musson’s ten-year-old operation will come as no surprise to those who’ve dealt with the firm.
With sales now running at over £100m per annum, the team is a dominant force in the Belgravia market, thanks to 60 years’ combined experience and the highest levels of technical expertise.
A prominent site on the corner of Ebury Street and Eaton Terrace helps with more than just brand awareness; according to the firm, “a significant number of properties sell the old fashioned way…by people reading the ad in the regularly changed window display and coming in for a chat”.
160 Ebury Street
(Corner of Eaton Terrace)
London SW1W 9JR
T: 020 7881 0880
16. AYRTON WYLIESet up by Simon Ayrton and Seamus Wylie in 1999 with the aim of “delivering the same levels of service in estate agency as you would expect from other professions”, this esteemed Belgravia-based firm has built itself a rock-solid reputation amongst PCL’s most discerning residents.
Praised by clients for “outstanding” market knowledge, honesty, and the ability to transact in very tight timeframes, Ayrton Wylie is a cherished name right across the Belgravia, Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Westminster and Pimlico patch.
With a sales line-up that’s remained virtually unchanged for over 15 years, clients know they’ll be dealing with an expert in their field that’s almost certainly guided someone through a similar situation before. This highly-focussed approach has won the firm plenty of awards and local price records - all of it richly deserved.
16 Lower Belgrave Street
Belgravia SW1W 0LN
T: 020 7730 4628
17. HATHAWAYSThe first name that should be on your list if you’re after a significant period home in Westminster, St James’s Park or Victoria, Hathaways has been building its rock-solid reputation since the 1970s.
Having successfully sold many of SW1’s most important properties since then - both historically and architecturally speaking - the team is a font of local knowledge and renowned as a particularly safe pair of hands, with new owner Dexters providing plenty of marketing oomph.
The Period Houses division is now joined by Flat Sales and Rental departments, adding new-builds and mansion flats to an already impressive offering.
12 Greycoat Place
Westminster SW1P 1SB
T: 020 7222 3133
18. DOMUS NOVAFounded in 2004 by Rob Atkins and Arnaud Cheung, this 28-strong Notting Hill-based agency is every bit as cool as the many extraordinary properties it has successfully represented over the years. A clear passion for great design elevates Domus Nova’s offering above many of its peers, particularly when it comes to selling or letting examples of exceptional architecture and interior design.
Clients are afforded access to some particularly well-evolved and targeted marketing channels, including slick lifestyle publications Domus Life and Domus Loves, as well as integrated digital and social media campaigns.
Combining this design-led approach with an obvious affection for the “truly special” W2 and W11 postcodes, Domus Nova is one of the few agencies turning traditional estate agency into something truly aspirational.
37 Alexander Street
London W2 5NU
T: 0207 908 9338
19. PASTOR REAL ESTATEPart of the famous Monaco-based Pastor range of companies - founded by Jean-Baptiste Pastor in 1913 - Pastor Real Estate offers clients a full range of services including sales, lettings, property management, development, renovation and re-modelling from two offices on Curzon Street (a new sales branch opened opposite the main HQ in January 2017).
48 Curzon Street
London W1J 7UL
T: 020 3867 7796
20. HANOVER RESIDENTIALBoasting “the finest property portfolio in London”, Hanover Residential is a trophy homes specialist dealing in statement addresses across St John’s Wood, Maida Vale, Marylebone, Hyde Park, Mayfair, Knightsbridge and Belgravia.
“Meticulous”, “skilful” and “discreet” are just some of the words used by clients to praise the experienced team, which operates from a pair of offices; one in St John’s Wood and the other in the West End.
102 St John’s Wood Terrace
St John’s Wood NW8 6PL
T: 020 7722 2223
21. LUROT BRANDA hugely innovative and influential force in estate agency, Antoine Lurot’s biography makes for fascinating reading.
Having moved to London from his native France with his mother, the artist Doris Lurot Betjeman, a cousin of the poet John Betjeman, Lurot became a successful rally driver in the swinging 60s, rubbing shoulders with racing legends including John Surtees and James Hunt.
Noticing that many drivers operated from mews house that had both accommodation and garage space, and crucially, were relatively cheap, Lurot realised that mews houses were becoming very fashionable and decided to start the first estate agency to specialise in selling them. His first move was to visit, photograph and research every single one of the 800 mews in London; the result was a directory that formed the foundation of the business, which took off pretty much straight away.
The firm lays claim to being the first in London to use floorplans for every property on its books, and to compare prices using pounds per square foot. Lurot, together with David Mclean-Watts (Cluttons) and Ian Homersham (John D Wood), set up the Central London Estate Agents (CLEA) and its publication The London Magazine.
The three-branch firm continues to corner the mews market to this day.
4-5 Kynance Place
London SW7 4QS
T: 020 7590 9955
22. KAYE & CAREY“Unconstrained by corporate red tape and geographic boundaries”, this small but highly effective team obtains the vast majority of its business via personal recommendations, which speaks volumes about the service on offer.
The two founding partners, Matthew Kaye and Adam Carey, lead from the front and are very well known on the Prime Central London scene.
Garden square properties in the best parts of Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Belgravia, South Ken and and Kensington are the speciality, and the firm tucks away some very sizeable deals, a recent example being a £30m mansion on Queen’s Gate Place.
4 Yeoman’s Row
London SW3 2AH
T: 020 7590 0066
23. CRAYSONOperating from a suitably stylish office just off Westbourne Grove, Nick Crayson’s eponymous firm is the very antithesis of the ubiquitous high street chain.
Born and bred in Notting Hill and Holland Park, the former financier set out to create a “new type of property consultancy…one that is truly bespoke, where a client’s every wish is at the very heart of the business”.
He has achieved just that, with a refreshing approach that’s won a loyal following and some of the area’s most impressive instructions.
10 Lambton Place
London W11 2SHT
T: 020 7221 1117
24. WILFORDS LONDONOne of the most in-demand agents in central London, Geoff Wilford set up his eponymous Kensington-based firm in 2011 after generating masses of revenue for some of the industry’s biggest names since the late 90s.
A supremely effective deal-maker (he personally sold in excess of £200m worth of off-plan property between 2006 and 2009) Wilford has, together with co-founder Simon Welfare, firmly established his classy offering as a key player in the Prime Central London marketplace.
6 Holland Street
Kensington W8 4LT
T: 020 7361 0400
25. FARRAR & COA market-leading presence since the 1950s, this Chelsea-based firm has built its reputation on vast experience, technical expertise and street-by-street knowledge of RBKC.
With three primely positioned offices next to the landmark Chelsea cinema on the Fulham Road, the signage is hard to miss if you’re looking to buy, rent or sell in the SW3 area, although the coverage extends to Knightsbridge, Belgravia, South Ken, Earls Court, Battersea Park and Fulham.
Services include sales, lettings and block management.
152 Fulham Road
London SW10 9PR
T: 020 7244 4444
26. HANOVER PRIVATE OFFICEWith recent sales including a 30,000 square foot mansion in Surrey, a £50m super yacht, a “100-acre estate within 35 minutes of Harrods”, a London-based football club and a $100m golf course in France, Hanover Private Office is particularly adept at dealing in big-ticket instructions for high-profile clients.
Trust, discretion, expertise, independence and accessibility are the five key “principles” at the heart of the offering, which is led by Alex Newall and Nick Wiszowaty from a base on Wigmore Street.
“We understand that we are only as good as our last deal”, says the team; going by their recent record, that means very good indeed.
128 Wigmore Street
London W1U 3SA
T: 020 7935 5797
27. DOMINIC LONDONA top choice for vendors and buyers in the Kensington area for nearly three decades, Dominic London works with a well-established portfolio of private clients, corporate companies and Embassies from Europe, Asia, Russia and the Americas, and has a network of associated offices throughout Italy and Spain.
Experienced and approachable.
38 Gloucester Road
London SW7 4QT
T: 020 7581 0154
28. ASHDOWN MARKSPerfectly positioned on the Chelsea/ Knightsbridge borders, Ashdown Marks has been providing expert, honest advice to buyers and sellers in RBKC for nearly 30 years.
The single-office outfit is owned by the two directors, Christopher Colville and Edward Simpson, who have many years of knowledge and experience between them. The well-connected team prides itself on “accurate and realistic” valuations and a detailed understanding of complicated leaseholds.
A prime example of a successful local independent agency.
9 Milner Street
London SW3 2QB
T: 020 7589 3353
29. BECTIVE LESLIE MARSHOne of the few remaining agencies with 19th century origins, Bective Leslie Marsh was founded in 1881 and describes itself as “the ideal size… large enough to be a serious presence in the area, and small enough for all five offices and staff to communicate with each other quickly and efficiently”.
Led by MD Peter Rickenberg, the 50-strong team has a firm grip on the west London market, with prominent positions in Chelsea, Kensington, Notting Hill, Ladbroke Grove and Brook Green. After 135 years, the firm has honed a compelling offering, combining local expertise, marketing muscle and global reach.
126 Ladbroke Grove
London W10 5NE
T: 020 7221 0099
30. RESCORPThe term “boutique” is used too loosely by too many agencies, according to St John’s Wood-based Rescorp - and they could well have a point.
Used “seemingly as an excuse due to their small size versus the chains”, Vic Chhabria’s firm argues the word should relate instead to exceptional personal service, no matter whether you’re running a store, hotel or estate agency.
Specialising in the prime areas of St John’s Wood, Maida Vale, Marylebone, Mayfair and Knightsbridge, Rescorp operates from a base on Acacia Road - a conscious decision to avoid a high street presence - and attracts some of PCL’s best under-the-radar instructions thanks to a deep understanding of what their clients ultimately want and need. A boutique agency in the true sense of the word.
58 Acacia Road
St John’s Wood NW8 6AG
T: 020 3348 8000
31. HOBART SLATEROperating from a distinctive double-fronted premises just 200 metres from Harrods, Robert Hobart and Roger Slater’s well-respected firm has been a major force in the area for over 35 years.
The two founding directors continue to lead from the front, supported by a team of ten, offering a portfolio of prestigious properties for sale, rent and short term lets in Knightsbridge, Belgravia, Chelsea, Holland Park, Hyde Park, Kensington, Mayfair and South Kensington.
6-8 Montpelier Street
Knightsbridge SW7 1EZ
T: 020 7581 8277
32. DRUCEOne of the oldest agencies in central London, Druce started out in Marylebone in 1822 and remains a prominent force in the area.
A South Ken office was opened up in the mid 1980s, and both operations are still hard to beat in terms of sheer weight of experience and local knowledge - the bedrock of the boutique agency.
61 Weymouth Street
London W1G 8NR
T: 020 7935 6535
33. SANDFORDSCovering a territory stretching north of Oxford Street right up to Primrose Hill - a patch it defines as “NoXo” - this hard-working three-branch agency is a well-respected name with a wide-ranging and fast-moving register of premium stock.
6 Paddington Street
London W1U 5QG
T: 020 7224 4994
34. ARLINGTON RESIDENTIALSet up in 1994 by Marc Schneiderman, Arlington Residential operates in the middle to upper echelons of the north west London market, quietly transacting on some of the area’s best properties on behalf of numerous notable and successful clients.
The firm’s patch takes in St John’s Wood, Regent’s Park, Hampstead, Belsize Park, Maida Vale, Marylebone, Hampstead Garden Suburb, and the team is particularly good at finding suitable buyers without the aid of conventional marketing and advertising - which is a big plus for many HNW homeowners.
8 Wellington Road
St. John’s Wood NW8 9SP
T: 020 7722 3322
35. McKEE & COThis single-office, family-owned estate agency has been specialising in Knightsbridge, Chelsea, South Kensington, Belgravia and Kensington since 1979.
The experienced team sells and lets all manner of prime property from mansion block apartments to £30m freeholds on Hyde Park Gate.
1B Kynance Place
London SW7 4QS
T: 0207 225 1244
36. NICOLAS VAN PATRICKNot many agencies can boast a billionaire as part of their management team, but Knightsbridge-based Nicolas Van Patrick is one of them.
Set up by Nicolas Pejacsevich and Patrick Alvarado in 2014 with the backing of John Fentener Van Vlissingen, one of the wealthiest people in the Netherlands, this boutique firm is starting to make some big waves in PCL.
Fluently speaking five languages and offering “straightforward and pragmatic” advice, the team is on course to make good on the travel tycoon’s investment and turn NVP into a profitable company by the end of its third year.One to watch.
20 Montpelier Street
London SW7 1HD
T: 020 3770 3474
37. IAN GREEN RESIDENTIALFunctioning solely in the upper echelons of the St John’s Wood, Regent’s Park and Little Venice property market, Ian Green’s highly regarded agency has been behind many of the area’s most notable transactions since 2003.
Recent examples have included an £18.75m mansion on Randolph Road, an £11.75m pile on Great Cumberland Place, and significant sales on Maida Vale and Blomfield Road.
The firm’s loyal client base includes private family trusts as well as public limited companies and private investors.
T: 0207 586 1000
38. BODENSA full-service boutique agency with a strong reputation, Bodens covers all the key PCL territories from its base on Draycott Avenue.
Everything from period properties to new-builds are catered for, and clients have access to a very well-regarded lettings and management department.
102 Draycott Avenue
Chelsea SW3 3AD
T: 0207 589 2000
39. MARLER & MARLERA first-rate firm with a name going back some 150 years, Marler & Marler claims 75% of its current clients are individuals for whom they have acted in the past.
Maintaining that level of repeat business is no easy feat, and the service is renowned for its attentiveness and professionalism.
A recognised authority not only on the markets of Knightsbridge, Kensington, Belgravia and Chelsea, but also, crucially, on their many micro-markets.
6 Sloane Street
London, SW1X 9LF
T: 020 7235 9641
40. DRAKER LETTINGSAfter spotting an opportunity for a high-end lettings specialist in Prime Central London, Foxtons’ former Operations Director Tim Hassell set up Draker in 2010.
The firm now lets around 400 properties annually from its prime 2,000 square foot HQ just off Sloane Square, which every tenant looking in the RBKC area would be wise to either visit or call at the start of their search.
The onus is on making the letting process as straightforward as possible, which means quick callbacks, no-nonsense advice and lots and lots of happy clients.
1 Holbein Place
London SW1W 8NS
T: 020 3393 6344
41. MOUNTGRANGE HERITAGE“Proudly” independent west London agency Mountgrange Heritage was founded in 1999, and underwent a management buy-out in summer 2009 by the team of Directors who now run the business.
With three offices - Notting Hill, Kensington, and North Kensington - the team covers the boroughs of Kensington & Chelsea, Westminster, Hammersmith and Fulham and Brent to great effect.
13b Stratford Road
London W8 6RF
T: 020 7937 9976
42. FYFE McDADECarl Schmid and Ray Smith’s Fyfe McDade burst onto the scene in 2007, setting up shop in Shoreditch and soon expanding west into Bloomsbury, north up to Islington and, most recently, south of the river into Waterloo.
The vision for an estate agency that would “dispel the stereotype of shiny suited, clipboard carrying, aggressive sales people” has clearly resonated with Londoners, and the firm does a very brisk trade in unique and design-led properties, attracting plaudits for a refreshingly down-to-earth, friendly, and highly effective approach. The moniker, in case you were wondering, is derived from the founders’ mothers’ maiden names.
A very different kind of estate agency - and one that clients seem to really like dealing with.
1 Charlotte Road
Shoreditch EC2A 3DH
T: 020 7613 4044
43. JO WEBSTERSpecialising in premium resi developments in Central London, this highly-focussed Chelsea-based agency is a first port of call for anyone looking for new-build luxury in the capital.
Set up by Jo Webster, a former Sales Director at Taylor Woodrow responsible for the global sales and marketing of high-profile schemes including Kensington Green and The Montevetro Building, the firm has gone on to become one of London’s leading niche estate agencies.
Worlds End Studios
132-134 Lots Road
Chelsea SW10 0RJ
T: 020 7349 7055
44. LOUISE HEWLETT PROPERTY CONSULTANTSOne of London’s best known agents, Louise Hewlett recently set up her own boutique firm after carving out a hugely successful career at Aylesford International.
Now operating as under her own name, she has, together with Emma Olivier, gotten off to a flyer, with instructions including vast mansions and trophy homes across the prime postcodes.
9 Alma Terrace
London W8 6QY
T: 0207 060 5440
45. TLC LONDONA prime example of a successful, independent local agency, this family-run outfit is a top-performer in the SW5 postcode - an area it’s specialised in for a good 25 years.
Toby Brown bought the firm with Jamie Coronna in 2011 and has done great things for the brand since taking the reins (including regular appearances on the daily US television programme House Hunters International as the show’s presenter/broker).
Along with intricate street-by-street knowledge, there’s a clear sense of pride in the local area, and the firm plays a big role in the community, supporting all kinds of events and charities. The result is the kind of agency you’d recommend to your closest friends and family.
8 Hogarth Place
Earls Court SW5 0QT
T: 020 7370 4000
46. SUSAN METCALFE RESIDENTIALFounded in 1997, this small, privately-owned agency in Chelsea is staffed exclusively by local experts. The result is a highly personal service that’s very different from the big chain experience, in a very, very good way.
10 Hollywood Road, London SW10 9HY
T: 020 7581 3349
47. MILTON STONEMilton Stone’s Sacha Moussaieff and Rupert Carr have a combined 45 years of experience in the central London market, with a particular speciality in the apartments and houses of RBKC.
Based out of a mews near Gloucester Road, the firm offers a strong selection of prime instructions for sale and rent.
18 Astwood Mews
London SW7 4DE
T: 0207 835 2888
48. CROFT INTERNATIONALA long-standing name in prime London, Kensington-based Croft International also has a strong presence in the South of France and Dubai.
Services include sales, lettings, property management and advice on refurbishments and investments.
21/22 Vicarage Gate
Kensington Church Street
London W8 4AA
T: 020 7937 9070
49. RIVERHOMESDespite stiff competition from far bigger industry names, this family-owned agency has shown how to make a success out of what you’d think would be a pretty tight niche.
John Day and his two sons Russell and Nigel set up the business from a bedroom in Chiswick, before moving to the current HQ on Thames Road.
Remaining “laser-focused” on their original mission - only marketing floating homes and properties that actually overlook the water - has paid dividends, and the team is now regarded as the go-to for those into waterside living, with offices right across town.
28 Thames Road
Chiswick W4 3RJ
T: 08000 740 750
50. RAMPTON BASELEYA good old-fashioned owner-operated agency covering prime fringe favourites Wandsworth, Battersea, Clapham and Balham to great effect. The firm publishes 100% of its clients feedback, which speaks volumes.
30 Bellevue Road, London SW17 7EF
T: 020 3846 0999
Other Prime Movers indices: