Douglas & Gordon’s staff are getting their hands dirty for this year’s Christmas Kids Company charity day, redecorating and refurbishing three underprivileged families’ homes.
The estate agency has been supporting Kids Company since 2010, raising about £20k in cash, 20 tonnes of food and thousands of toys so far. This year, in a refreshingly practical approach to philanthropy, 42 staff will be testing their DIY talents in the three flats on the 4th and 5th December while the rest of the firm raises funds to pay for the renovation works. Fundraising activity has included marathon, pub quizzes, raffles and a bake-off in Ixworth Place that raised over £1100 in an afternoon.
Ed Mead, Douglas & Gordon’s Exec Director: “We feel this direct action will more directly influence the day to day lives of Kids Company children who live in conditions you simply wouldn’t believe, and has already put us in close touch with what the Charity is trying to do.”
One of the flats being refurbed by the D&G DIY squad is a family homes in Brixton: “Five people live in a damp cluttered and run down two bed ground floor flat where sadly one of the children died in 2009. Douglas & Gordon will be preparing, cleaning, re-laying floors, hanging wall paper, painting and putting new furniture in their property over two days. It’s fair to say that at this stage the family, having been promised much in the past, doesn’t believe anything is going to change; it’s their default position.”
The two photos below illustrate the conditions they have been living in:
Also props to these suppliers have been particularly generous with this project:
- Anthony Ward-Thomas – supported the charity day by providing lorries, removal men and boxes for the day to help transport supplies.
- Paterson Wood – supplying contractors, lights, flooring, tiles, shelving – working on site with us for two days.
- Waterways – plumbing contractors who have donated tools.
- David Philips – furniture suppliers who have donated beds, sofas, side tables for the properties.
- Zest – building contractors who have supplied their own contractors to work on the day and supplying equipment.
You can get involved or donate here