The Cadogan Estate has been in the same family ownership for 300 years.
This long history shapes our values today and provides the foundation upon which we apply a modern and dynamic estate management approach. We are committed to investing for the long-term success of the area.
The foundations of the Cadogan Estate were established in 1717 when Charles, 2nd Baron Cadogan (1685-1776) married Elizabeth Sloane, daughter of Sir Hans Sloane (1660-1753) who had purchased the Manor of Chelsea in 1712. At this time it included 11 houses, a selection of tenements and 166 acres. Chelsea in the early 18th century was a rural retreat, described as ‘a town of palaces’ that was close to London yet offered ‘sweetness of air and pleasant situation’. Sir Hans Sloane was an eminent physician, antiquarian and collector who planned to retire to Chelsea and accommodate his extensive collection in the Manor House. In 1737 he added further to his estate by purchasing Sir Thomas More’s former home, Beaufort House (and 10 acres). Sloane died in 1753 without male heirs, his estate being divided between his two daughters; one part passing into the Cadogan family, the other to the Stanley’s of Paulton. Sloane’s great collection, too large to be housed at Chelsea, was bequeathed to the nation and formed the founding collections at both the British, and later the Natural History Museums.
There have been two great bursts of development in the history of the Cadogan Estate. The first of these began in 1777 when Charles Sloane, then Earl Cadogan, granted a lease to the architect Henry Holland for the development of ‘Hans Town’, the area of fields between Knightsbridge and the King’s Road. Prior to this, fields covered most of Chelsea and the main focus of settlement was by the river and Chelsea Old Church. Holland created Sloane Street, Hans Place and later Sloane Square as well as designing the street layout, building houses and selling speculative building rights on the development. Hans Town became the model for the many new ‘towns’ that sprang up in central London. For himself, Holland took 3 acres to build ‘The Pavilion’ a grand Palladian-style house on the west side of Sloane Street with 16 acres of meadow and grounds landscaped by his father-in-law Capability Brown.
In 1821 the whole of the Manor of Chelsea was reunited under Cadogan ownership, the Cadogan family